Friday, November 5, 2010

Closer...and Closer...

Had my first 'full-term' appointment today! Everything looks great! As I mentioned before, I'm definitely starting to feel some aches and pains and discomfort with being so pregnant. However, my blood pressure is still good and while I have had some swelling, the doctor checked and said it's fairly minimal so not to worry...just keep the feet up when possible. I'm starting to feel generally crampy...not sharp or anything, just achy...especially when I'm standing or sitting up. Overall, I really can't complain too much. I DID feel ridiculous as I haven't shaved my legs in about a month (I can reach my legs but it's WAY uncomfortable and since it's cooler...or SUPPOSED to be...why bother). Oh well. I'm sure I'm not the first uber pregnant woman they've seen with hairy legs!

The big news is I'm 1 cm dilated and starting to thin out just slightly. The doctor said I 'should be good' for my appointment next week. So...hopefully she'll hang on until Mom and Dad get back from Houston. It's also good to know that the process is beginning! For those of you who don't know much about all this (myself included), beginning to dilate doesn't mean much. Mom said she was dilated from a month before I finally came along. We'll just have to wait and see if anything's changed by next week. The doctor also said he could actually push the head back from the cervix so she's definitely down there!

On the subject of induction. I did ask what was typical protocol for that. While I didn't see my normal doc today (and thus will have to ask her next week anyway) the doc I saw today said that standard practice is not to go past 42 weeks (December 9) but he usually doesn't go past 41.5 at the absolute most. I'll just have to ask my normal doc what her thoughts are next week. He ALSO said that once I hit 39 weeks, they would normally allow me to opt for a scheduled induction if I'm ready to just be done (which would basically be in 2-2.5 weeks...I know...scary). It's just good to know that there are options and some flexibility...especially if Mom and Dad have to go back down to Houston.

So that's the story! Baby's got hiccups right now:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment