Thursday, November 4, 2010

How Are You Feeling?

Alrighty...so I'm going to take a few moments to vent on pregnancy woes. You have been warned.

Since pretty much the beginning of the pregnancy, I've been constantly asked, 'how are you feeling?'...like it's the common greeting. Not, 'hi' or anything normal like that, just straight into the 'how are you feeling?' question. For the longest time, I was kind of confused because I really felt fine. I mean, yeah I felt bigger and I'm not going to lie and say there weren't some interesting sounds coming from me each time I got off the couch. But overall, I felt great!

And then I hit the 35/36 week mark. Ummm...yeah. Definitely feeling VERY PREGNANT right now.

First off, as of today, I am officially 37 weeks which means 'FULL TERM'. A little bit scary, but definitely exciting and reassuring.

Sleep does not exist any more. Well, I slept alright last night, thank goodness. But most nights consist of about 5 trips to the bathroom, at least 2-3 (and usually more) Tums, shooting pains in my lower back, and acrobatics as I turn onto the other side (which involves flipping a body pillow under the covers but over my belly...not an easy feat). For the first time in my life, I find myself looking at the clock and WILLING for it to be later. Like...it's only 3AM? I could have sworn it was at least 5! I'm sure I would feel differently if I were still teaching or working a normal schedule and had to be up by a certain time, but I look forward to morning/daytime when I can rest a little better.

I also started swelling in my ankles and feet. I went out with coworkers on Saturday night and we went to a restaurant downtown. We parked close, but it was still a few blocks away and when I came home, my ankles were...well, there were no ankles! Actually, I scared Stephen because I was in the bathroom before bed and I saw my ankles (or lack there of) and said out loud, 'oh my god!' then...'my ankles are so swollen!'. When I came out and was washing my hands, Stephen said, 'ok, we need to make a rule that for the next few months, you don't say,'oh my god' when you're in the bathroom. Poor baby thought my water had broken or something! :-D

I also learned yesterday after sitting through 4 tutoring sessions at work that I'm going to have to start limiting those hours. I figured with pretty much sitting the whole time, so long as I wasn't being told to stay home, I could go as long as possible. While that's still the plan, I am definitely going to have to cut back some. After sitting for 4 hours, I got up out of my seat yesterday and felt like I had just ridden a horse! I guess the pressure from my belly on legs was making them ache? Still not sure, but something has changed. I was supposed to be there all day today, but Deb and Meena managed to convince me that probably wasn't the smartest idea so I moved my 1:30 and now will only have to been there for 4 hours...yay!

Well, I'm going to rest up for this evening. Baby Zoe needs some rest, too. We're hoping she doesn't surprise us and decides to wait until at least next weekend when my parents will be back in town! We'll see...

1 comment:

  1. You can do it! You've been awesome so far and Zoe just wants to make her presence known.

    Don't forget, you can always be a total witch if people ask you that question and then later blame it on the pregnancy hormones! Totally valid. There's got to be a rule about that somewhere...

    You are a rockstar.

    I agree with Stephen, though, no exclamations while in the bathroom at this point ;-)

    Kopetti

    ReplyDelete