Tuesday, August 31, 2010

GD...in more ways than one

So, last Friday I went in for my latest appointment at 27 weeks (yay!). I had to get my glucose screening done which was a pain. Actually, I didn't mind the drink. It made me think of orange drink from McDonalds...except as if someone accidentally dumped a ton of extra sugar in this particular batch. It made my stomach hurt, but other than that...no worries. Luckily, I made it to the doctor's office with about 5 minutes to spare for them to draw my blood.

Hey! At least I got a room fast! In fact, this was the fastest doctor's appt I've had so far...in and out in 30 minutes.

Unfortunately, today I got the news that my glucose is abnormal so I have to go in for the 3 hour test...wahoo. I've read that only about a third of those needing to do the actual GTT (Glucose Tolerance Test) end up with Gestational Diabetes so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. But, I guess it is what it is...it's probably all that fruit I've been eating:-P Anyway, good to be sure and take care of it. I'm disappointed for sure, but I guess I can't complain much since so far the pregnancy has been a breeze.

Of course when I called the lab to schedule the testing, I had to listen to a LOOOOONG message about hours, phone numbers, directions (from everywhere, apparently), and the fact that you can schedule online (except for GTTs...I already checked) and I finally get someone and she asks me to call back! Not the best thing to tell a pregnant woman who just found out she might have GD. Don't worry...I didn't jump down her throat...just said 'sure' and hung up.

Anyway, I'll keep you all posted on what happens there. Other than that, baby seems fine! She's kicking up a storm in there (especially in the last week or so)! The doctor said she's currently head-down which I'm still amazed they can tell with just a little poking and prodding. And the heartbeat still sounds awesome! So, I'll just have to keep remembering that for now.

Oh! And we 99% decided on a first name: Zoe. Still thinking of a middle name and we're not 100% yet, but we've been calling her that so I think unless she comes out with an unexpected additional appendage, Zoe will be it!

2 comments:

  1. Boo about the GD, but I'm sure it will work itself out.
    A classmate of mine just had a baby and named her Zoe! Cute name :-)
    I don't think I'll be able to make it to STL for the shower, but I have something in the works that I think may make up for it ;-)

    Miss you bunches.

    Kopetti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss you too! I figured you wouldn't be there, but of course I wanted you to know you're invited regardless...I don't care where you live:-D

    Hope things are going well!

    ReplyDelete