Friday, August 13, 2010

The Search for the Perfect Nursing Bra

Does anyone remember when I was searching for white shoes in January for Jaime's wedding? To refresh your memory, I went to about 10 different stores trying desperately to find white shoes that wouldn't cost a fortune in time for my dress fitting. I ended up finding something FINALLY...and then the day I was packing for my flight, I was pulling out another pair of shoes and out came my own wedding shoes which I thought I had gotten rid of.

So...now I have TWO pairs of white shoes. And I'm not getting rid of either one. Just in case.

Anyway, trying to find nursing bras that fit but don't cost a fortune feels a lot like looking for those white shoes all over again.

I started my search at Target. I learned back when I went through the apartment fire fiasco and had to buy a complete outfit that DIDN'T smell like smoke that I really like Walmart bras! For real! The problem is when you're used to buying $10 bras, it's hard to imagine ponying up $30 or more for a bra that will only be worn for a few months.

But seriously, what is up with Target sizing??!!

I started with a bunch of different sizes and when I finally found the right cup size, I realized I also needed to go up a band size...and all the sudden the cups were HUGE...like, I could fit a water balloon in there! What's up with that??!

After trying both Walmart and JC Penny's I finally gave in and went to a local store called Bosom Buddies. And I fell in love. This store is specifically geared towards breastfeeding. They have lactation consultants, pumps and replacement pump parts, nursing covers, and more nursing bra selection than I thought existed. And not everything is ridiculously expensive! I mean, yes, bras can be purchased for $70 a pop, but the one I bought was about $25...very doable.

Unfortunately after wearing it for two days, I decided that the wiring that went down the seam of the sides was not all that comfortable so I took them out and realized WHY they were there in the first place. Lumps under the arms...lovely. But it's still a good bra for around the house so no worries...just means I have to go back and try again (and maybe stop by Destination Maternity while I'm over there...well, I have to take my opportunities when I can get them!) :-)

Lesson learned? Yes, definitely. Sometimes just biting the bullet and going to the specialty store is worth it. Especially when pregnancy hormones are involved...

No comments:

Post a Comment